Friday, September 16, 2011

Today's Guest: Bee In Our Bonnet

Hello there!  My name is Ashleigh, and I blog with my sister over at Bee In Our Bonnet!  I'm super excited to be here at eighteen25 today!  I'm a huge fan of theirs, and in my dreams all of us sisters are BFFs and we craft together 24/7!

But lets talk about the project I want to share with you!  It's a little cookie project/gift just in time for Halloween.  I'm gonna call it: JACK-O-LANTERN IN A JAR!


I'd like to thank my inspiration for this project: Mr. Potato Head and his bucket of parts.  
It's kind of like an edible, Halloween version of it all.
Just look at the cookie goodness that is happening when you open up this jar!


Although our blog is about all sorts of projects, I find myself baking and making cookies on an out of control level.  So, I have lots of cookie tutorials.  But to make a long story short, you can find my cookie and frosting recipes and lots of directions on
 THIS POST.  
Or, you can use any basic sugar cookie recipe.  

I don't have any specific cookie cutters for these.  I just used a good old knife.  Hey, if we can carve out a super thick pumpkin, we can certainly carve out some sugar cookie dough the same way!


I like to put my royal icing in squeezie bottles.  You can use bags and tips, but I find these a little easier and super kid-friendly, by the way.  So once I mix up some Halloween-ish colors and I'm ready to go.


As I mentioned, this is so easy for kids!  I don't know what the kids will love more: making these, or playing with them later?!  But with a little instruction, kids can easily ice with a solid color.


If you get involved though, the jack-o-lantern parts may get a little bit more detailed!  :)


Let these pumpkin parts dry for at least 12 hours.  Then grab some orange paper plates (dessert size) and encourage your kids to PLAY WITH THEIR FOOD!   They can make all sorts of pumpkin and monster faces.  Then when they're bored with that, they can eat their little snack!


I thought it was cute to add a few patterned paper scraps to my paper plates for the "stem."


So now you have a simple, yummy and darling treat!
You can make a traditional jack-o-lantern and cut each piece out, custom deluxe. 


You can also add in a few basic shape cookie cutters like circles and ovals.


These eyes were made with a heart cookie cutter, cut in half before baking.


You can make these for your own kids to eat, but I thought it would make a really fun gift when packaged up in a jar!  Make sure they have dried for a full 24 hours before you pile them in a jar.


I spray painted the lid of the jar orange, and added a tag and ribbon.  It would be really nice if you gave them a little stack of paper plates too.  You can enjoy the fun of making it, and then let someone else enjoy the fun of creating their own little jack-o-lantern snack!  Wouldn't it be fun to "spook" someone and leave this as an anonymous gift on their porch?  Yep, I'm doin' it! 


Thanks again to Jamie, Jodie and Jen for having me as a guest on the fabulous, eighteen25!
I love it here!  Are you sure you don't want to adopt 2 more sisters?  (just checking)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We always have room for more sisters!!
(Especially ones that make beautiful cookies)
These are an absolute MUST this Halloween. I love all of your extra details.
And that Jack - O - Lantern in a jar would make the perfect neighbor gift.
Thanks so much for participating with us this year Ashleigh!!
Make sure you swing by Bee In Our Bonnet and check out all of the other yummy goodness that Ashleigh and her sister Kathryn have put together!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

today's post is sponsored by: 

41 comments:

  1. Ow, that's so cute! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO creative. I am so doing this.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is the cutest. I've got to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable idea! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love, makes me wish Halloween was a bigger thing here in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous! So creative! Perfecting sugar cookies and icing is on my things I wish I could do list.
    Will have to try these when my boys are a bit older (2 and 4 mo now)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that looks like so much fun. Isn't halloween great. there is so much you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love Halloween...it's one of my favorites! Can't wait to do this with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea! Our grandson is in Spain (his dad was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship) and he's going to miss Halloween with Mimi! This is a perfect gift to send...although, I don't know how many Jack O-Lanterns will get made because he's quite the Cookie Monster. Thank you for the creative idea! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO excited to do this! My mind is going with everything I could use it for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so crazy brilliant! I adore this idea. Genius. I posted a link on EdibleCrafts.CraftGossip.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute idea for a kid's Halloween party! Jack-O-Lanterns without the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute... I just love all the cookie ideas she comes up with...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea and Bee in Our Bonnet! This would be so cute for snowmen in a jar, too (with white plates).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative! I'm super impressed with you icing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a creative fabulous idea. Love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is THE cutest Halloween craft I've seen!! Wow, now that is creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AAAAAHHHHH! I love this! I have been looking for something to send to my 1 year old nephew for Halloween that my kids could help me with and I have found it. It is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable idea! My kids would love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is, hands down, the cutest Halloween gift and treat I've ever seen!!! So creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, oh, oh!!! Show us how you did those fabulous teeth. Did you let each one dry before piping the next one? I love it!! Do Share.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I should clarify that last comment. The huge white teeth, ya know, the ones that look like piano keys. I love 'em! Howdya get the white to not meld together?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this idea- so creative! Although I don't know if I have the energy to make all of these adorable little cookie pieces and parts! I wish that you sold these!

    I just subscribed to follow Bee In Our Bonnet now too!

    I plan to feature a picture and a link to this post on my Sunday 9/18 Links to Love post over at www.momof6.com!

    Thanks as always for sharing such great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea and I love how Ashleigh made it rock! TFS and inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love, love, LOVE this idea---I love to bake and think the Jack O'Lantern in a jar is the cutest idea ever! I definitely want to make them for Halloween this year...just need to make time!! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so stinkin' cute! We are definitely going to make this for our neighbors. There kids will love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute! My kids would love to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think this is one of the cutest ideas I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such an adorable idea! We featured it today at Over the Big Moon!

    Check it out: http://overthebigmoon.blogspot.com/2011/09/pinterest-interests_23.html

    Thanks!

    Pam from www.overthebigmoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is one of the cutest ideas I have ever seen! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So very cute!! I am going to have to try this!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete